My review of DC K.O. By: DC Comics!

 

 

This was a wonderful read there were so many twists and turns. I genuinely think this is one of those books where you’ll want to collect the single issues. But as always there is MUCH to discuss so let’s get into it.

The plot in my own description is as follows: (Spoilers) This is about Superman letting go of his limitations. With him finally unlocking his full potential through a trial by fire.

Written by Scott Snyder and Joshua Williamson, this was a great book; this was a fantastic journey. And the finale is downright mind-blowing, the way they wrote this book! This is a credit to them as writers, not comic book writers but writers in general. Several times in this book we’d cut back to the board game Diana, Bruce, Clark and Lois were playing in the beginning. And it wasn't revealed until issue four why we kept coming back to that moment. All the interjections between the board game and the actual game the heroes and villains were playing coincide. I loved that Scott and Joshua chaptered the book, it reminded me of Alan Moore. (Speaking of Alan Moore I will be reading his V for vendetta; after I finish Superior Iron Man). I haven't come across many trade paperbacks or hardcover book collections in this day and age that use chapters.

This book while being a great book does have its flaws. For one is has weird jump cuts during all the fights to become King Omega. One minute Star Sapphire has on all of the rings; next minute the narration box says, “she pulls her hands away from the hydraulic claw cable just in time". I didn't see a cable in the panel where she put the rings on nor the panel where the mysterious claw cable is. I also had no idea Star Sapphire became a hero. The last time I saw her was in Justice League Doom, the animated movie.

The art in this masterpiece is done by Javier Fernández. With the inks done by Xermánico. And wow does he know how to draw! Javier Fernández really knew what he was doing the details were the best part of this. The way he captured raw, seething emotion and pain ooh (chef’s kiss). I'm not sure what this new style of art is called. This art reminds me of Jorge Jiménez art in the Batman (2025) comics. Or Daniel Acuna’s art in Avengers Twilight. Or Marcelo Ferreira’s art in Predator vs Spider-Man. The only difference between all of these artists styles and Jorge Jiménez is that Jorge Jiménez’s art is basically American Anime. Javier really knew what he was doing when he drew this; again, chef's kiss.

Alejandro Sánchez was the colorist and his colors really popped. the way he uses colors is one of the many things that bring this book to life. Without someone to add colors to the detailed art after the artist, there would be no comic. The colors were nice, vibrant and REALLY stood out when they needed to.

All in all I give this a 9 out of 10 Batman capes.

 

Comments

Popular Posts