My review of Batman vs The Incredible Hulk (1982) From: Marvel & DC Comics!



Batman versus The Incredible Hulk is without a doubt. The second-best Marvel/DC crossover to come from the Bronze Age of comics. But as always there is much to discuss so let’s get into it.
I actually found this charming. It was written a lot better than Teen Titans & X-Men. There was a lot of depth, if you read between the lines. I think the premise is not bad just a little on the typical side when it came to the hulk, and there’s nothing wrong with that. I love all the costume changes Batman had in this; it reminded me of the dark knight returns.

I like that even though the Joker is a villain in this story. He's used more like a pawn because of the main villain Shaper of Worlds. I also like that there were chapters to separate the 66-page book. I loved the art in this; it is drawn by the lovely José Luis García-López. I genuinely think it’s one of the best drawn comics from the golden age only seconded by Superman vs the Amazing Spider-Man.

The plot is simple yet elegance. What I mean by simple is the plot is yet another find a cure to take out the hulk. But the scripts get turned on its head because it's not all about that not completely. It's more about the fact that the Hulk is tired of being hated, hunted, harassed and hounded by everyone from General Ross to the Abomination. And all Hulk wants is peace and quiet.

Normally, I truly and utterly despise hero versus hero fights. But given who the Hulk is, it's 100% acceptable to have him fight Batman almost throughout this entire comic. I still stand by when they first fought Batman should have lost hands down. And it's done in such a way that will make you mad as hell. After a second go around Batman almost got killed, even I was wondering how he was gonna survive the Hulk. But after a second costume change from Batman as a blind man, Hulk explains to the “blind man” what he is feeling. And that’s when you feel his pain and start to understand his struggle.

This is the earliest version of emperor joker, and I loved every minute of it. It's almost criminal how Batman and Hulk beat Joker. But what is the enemy of chaos?

All in all I give this a 9 out of 10 Joker fish.

Comments