My review of Wolverine: Weapons of Armageddon By: Marvel Comics!

 

 


I was prepared to dismiss this as just another "need to read for the bigger event"stories. But I should have known that my favorite writer Chip Zdarsky would have put his all into this story. No matter how big or small the story is, I should have known. I like that this is less of a Wolverine story and more of a super soldier story. But as always there is MUCH to discuss; so, let’s get into it fellow NERDS.

Written by one of my favorite writers Chip Zdarsky this was a existential delve into the many lives Weapon X ruined. From Wolverine and David Colton: the former new Captain America, to Nuke aka Frank Simpson. [The plot in my own way is: Someone is using methods from the shutdown weapon X program. And they make yet another super soldier]. That's all I'm gonna say without getting into spoilers. I loved every bit of this story; the writing is exceptional. I think this story can genuinely stand on its own as a story about the torture and torment of weapon X. I like that we caught up to David after what happened in the beginning arc of Captain America 2025. This perfectly ties a bow around David’s origin and the aftermath of Latveria. I also loved the element that he didn't want to pick up the shield again. David thinks he's so corrupted he doesn't deserve it. I also loved the inclusion of Nuke. Last time I saw this version of Nuke was in Daredevil: Born again (I did a review on that by the way) and he was fighting Captain America then. I genuinely think this is one of the best mini-series I’ve read THIS YEAR.

This was masterfully illustrated by Luca Maresca. Each of his. illustrations whether it was characters walking, sitting or fighting; it was all drawn with the same subtleness. There are several scenes where the characters would just be doing human things. When Luca drew those scenes, it reminded me of George Perez’s art in. JLA/Avengers when the characters were just hanging out or coming up with a plan. Luca didn't have to put so much detail into those scenes. Some artists today cheat by painting the characters into character shape blobs. But here you can see that Luca drew with the same patience and dedication as George would.

After reading this online I am definitely going buy the TPB. I still can't fathom why people don't like Chip Zdarsky. Not to give him continual undue adulation but the man is a multi talented writer. Between Chip Zdarsky and Ben Percy, I don't know who's been killing it more.

All in all I give this a 9 out of 10 LFG’s

Comments

Popular Posts