My review of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles / Ghostbusters II (2017) From: IDW Publishing

 



This masterpiece was written by Tom Waltz and Erik Burnham, and I get it now and soon you will too. But as always there is much to discuss so let’s get into IT!

Let me start by saying Dan Schoening I humbly apologize for (as the kids say) not recognizing your game. But he was not alone oh no; Mark Torres, Tadd Galusha, Pablo Tunica and Charles Paul Wilson III also contributed to illustrating this masterpiece. Their art is so wonderful in this mini-series. Their illustrations were so masterful/breathtaking. With every new page there was a new world each more colorful than the last, each more creative and inventive. I really loved the call backs to the older TMNT shows and I love the “IRL” Ghostbusters and TMNT world. And I love that the collectors resembled the dark turtles from 2003 TMNT that was a nice call back (at least I hope it was a call back).

The Story was actually good, heck it was Amazing. Without spoiling anything, the story is that there is an old enemy of the turtles who has come back to exact revenge and the turtles and ghostbusters have to stop said ghostly enemy. But the execution was anything but simple, this was SOO MUCH better than the original (IMO).

Here’s what I meant when I said "you’ll find out soon". The reason Transformers/Ghostbusters was such a disappointment is because Tom Waltz had nothing to do with that crossover, you can tell it was all Erik Burnham. But when Erik Burnham & Tom Waltz work together you can tell. There’s added action during should be slow scenes. There’s hard hitting and meaningful dialogue during slow moments. But when Erik is by himself or takes leadership the comic suffers GREATLY! I read a mini-series called Ghostbusters Crossing Over; the comic is so slow paced and there was very little action. They didn’t defeat the big bad until the last issue (FYI it was eight issues long).

I think Erik Burnham is better as back up or co-writer, not a main writer. But this was a definite A+ in my book. I WILL be recommending this to friends for a great Ghostbusters or TMNT story.

All in all I give this a 10 out of 10.

Comments